Well I think I'm well and truly sucked in to this hobby.

all my calcs below are approximate of course and don't take into
account temp, humidity, wind, traction, blah blah blah

Engines
======
I was thinking of using two 18v right-angle drills as a power source,
but am having trouble "estimating" battery life, and required torque.

The model I am looking at has 33Nm (292Lb-in) of torque, is two geared
of 450/1400rpm, variable speed, and fwd/rev of course.

It is specified as 300watt of input power and 18v. I calculate this to
be 16.66amps (at full power)

300watt / 18v = 16.66amps

Battery Life
========
I calculate with a 3.0ah battery that is 0.18 hours of runtime, or
10.8 minutes, again this is at full power. So 20.0aH would yield
72mins

(ah / amps) = hours of runtime

Torque
=====
on low gear (450rpm) at full speed with a 9cm diameter drive wheel
that is 7.63kmh (4.74mph)
high gear (1400rpm) is 14.76mph (if it can move the thing on this
gear)

how can I calculate (or does someone know from experience) if this
thing will actually pull a 100lb behemoth up a 45 degree hill (on low
speed of course)  :-)

Other
====

Is anyone using Li-ion batteries?