----- Original Message -----
From: Dana Lowell
To: armornutsrcarmor...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 11:40 PM
Subject: [Armornut's RC Armor Hut] Re: Summer fun at the AAF Tank Museum
"Cook-out" today

  Glad you were in the area Bob. I have some video of the first Tamiya KV-1's
in action, (below).

1) Thanks to Doug for hosting!
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809a.jpg

2) It was a good Summer gathering. I hope we do it again!
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809b.jpg

3) And thanks to Doug for letting me experiment with a place for us to stand
centerfield:
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809d.jpg

4) This little "sidewalk" gave us a closer vantage point to battle across the
river.
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809g.jpg

5) Plus Doug made a simple electronic "landmine" for the field:
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809p.jpg

6) When a tank drives over the micro-switch, the buzzer sounds and you are
dead. Ironically, even though I watched him put the mine in place, later in the
day I was the only tanker to hit the frackin' mine! Notice the buzzer hidden in
the bushes:
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809q.jpg

7) Speaking of Doug, he showed off a cool metal hull mod for the HL Panzer III:
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809l.jpg

8) It is from AsiaTam, (whoever they are), and has beefier spring suspension:
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809k.jpg

9) It was a typical bad day for my "Mostly Broken" Jumbo. The out-drive broke!
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809h.jpg

10) It was an all-metal gearbox from Impact, and the drive axel broke right in
two!
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809i.jpg

11) Apparently the shaft was weakened where they scored it to hold the E-clip
in place:
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809j.jpg

12) The big news of the day was the two brand new Tamiya KV-1 tanks. Luckily,
James and Dale let me drive them a while. Here's a close-up of James' tank
after I got it nice and dirty for the first time! The short barrel allows for
easy city fighting.
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809c.jpg

13) The engine start-up SF/X are cool! At full speed the KV-1 sounds like a
vacuum cleaner, and at slow speed you can hear a "clanking" of metal tracks.
Although the sound is rather muffled by the sealed hull. So to let the sound
out better, I recommend cutting out those two hull exhausts under the turret
bustle before covering the holes with the photo-etched grills. Here is the back
of Dale's tank:
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809m.jpg

14) The tracks are 1-3/4" wide, just like the Tiger I, so it handles well in
dirt. And even after 8 hits, I was still able to climb up a hill with it!
Here's a peak inside. (You can see it a little better on my video, below).
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809n.jpg

15) One other mod that Dale suggests on the KV-1 is to fabricate a hull
stiffener for the bow end. Because the torquing of the idler arms causes the
thin hull to warp inwards, as seen in this photo. (Maybe our friend Daryl can
invent a good fix someday!)
http://www.lowell.to/tanks/cookout809o.jpg

I just loved that new Tamiya KV-1 monster. It was a big hit at the museum
Saturday. The KV-1 feels like a motorboat as it floats across the battlefield.
I hope to get one as soon as I can!

Well, thanks again to James and Dale for the test drives all day! And I
especially want to thank Doug Gasser again for putting the food together and
hosting a fun gathering for the regulars at Danville. -Dana

Here is a link to my YouTube video of Doug's cookout:
http://www.youtube.com/user/heatarmor

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (2) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional
Visit Your Group
Give Back
Yahoo! for Good