On Oct 31, 9:06 am, Bill Hamilton <billw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're absolutely certain that the pads are the right length, you
> draw a single line and screw a piece of wood aligned with it.  Drill
> one hole, rotate the pad 180 degrees (keep the same pad face against
> the vertical), drill the second.

That's a good way to ruin hundreds of parts!!!  Since parts are almost
never exactly the correct length, the "drill from both edges" approach
will almost always result in the wrong spacing between the holes.
That method ensures that the spacing from "both edges" is the same,
but in this case he needs the "spacing between holes" to be the same.
In that case, you need to use a different jig.  Specifically, use a
vertical guide on one side of the jig to drill the first hole at the
desired location just like in the method you described.  We'll call
that the "front-edge" of the pad.  Then, flip the pad over, placing
the other face against the jig and place the first hole over a
"locating pin" which is exactly the desired distance from the drill
bit.  Now, the second hole will be the right distance from the first
and any slop in the size of the pad will only be on the "back-edge".
If the alignment pin is tall enough, it will also ensure that the
holes are "parallel" through the part.

      Frank "Ruined Plenty Of Parts Myself" Pittelli