The main problem I've thought of when thinking of making kitset tanks is how
things are going to be put together. RC Paintball tanks need to be pretty
sturdy, if you made it out of metal, you'd need to weld it t get the
strength. One of the main causes of the cost is the engines too, if someone
could get a bunch of good cheap engines and somehow also get cheap
batteries, then it may be a reality. If you used the C6C it'd remove most of
the cost of a controller too. A book may work too, sell it at hobby
conventions and at paintball and RC plane events. The real problem with RC
tank combat is that you need competition to play, but to have competition
you need a user base, which you won't get without other people to play with,
it's a catch-22, also most people will just buy 1:16 scale tanks for $450
instead.

-Gregory