Hi Ben,

I went for the 3mm as I’m using cheap mild steel sheet, that way I
have a chance of bending it into horrible compound curves and still
have it stiff enough. The 2mm Zinc steel would be too hard to form
though plenty stiff enough as you say. It's a compromise between
stiffness and workability. Another reason for going for the thicker
steel is that there’ll be another thread in any tapped holes (assuming
a 1mm pitch) therefore stronger fixings (I cant afford much space
inside for nuts and bolts sticking through as at the moment the
batteries I'm looking at are only 2mm clear of the inside hull sides!)

Phil.