Beautiful!  I'm a little confused:  Are you still going to use aluminum, or
does the pvc prototype perform well enough that you decided to switch?
Also, I'm assuming that the $0.80/inch was for the aluminum?

Do you anticipate running into any problems drilling 1/8" holes in the .25"
thick tread segments?  That's really what I'm worried about at the moment (I
have a drill press, but it's not the most expensive, and I don't have the
most experience with it)

Otherwise, this is almost exactly what I wanted to do