The Scorpion Mini has a brake function so that's not the problem.
It's obvious the friction wheel is slipping.  Have you tried more
spring tension?

Have you looked at Pete's cog -drive setup?

  http://rctankcombat.com/tanks/T073/Page3.html

The cog drive would give better engagement and possibly solve your
momentum issue, but maybe not.  That's one big turret you built and it
has plenty of mass.

If I was retro-fitting your tank I'd go with a bigger and faster
motor, a smaller diameter drive wheel, and try Pete's cog-drive
design.

Steve