Will Montgomery used a commercially available loader (I think it was a Q-Loader) to push the paintballs up from below the marker. A gravity fed magazine sat above the loader mechanism. He had enough height for a cut-down magazine from a paintball gun, but a simple tray would have worked as well. You can see the mechanism here:

http://www.rctankcombat.com/tanks/T026/12Magazine-large.jpg

        Frank P.