  From: Norman James
  To: rctankcombat@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:35 PM
  Subject: [TANKS] Brazing, Round 1. AKA Oooo! Glow-ey Hot Stuff!

  First go at it.

  Given large coiled sections of brakeline are cheaper, the working medium is a
25 foot section of 5/16ths coated steel brakeline from Auto-zone: costing a
grand total of some $20.

  While in lengths, it’s fairly flexible, I hacked off a ~4 inch and ~2 inch
chunk to test with. The brass brazing rods were flux coated, so I didn’t bother
with fluxing the joint, but I did grind off the anti-corrosion coating to get
down to the base metal with some emery paper. Also, a cut-off wheel mounted in
a hand drill was very useful for fish-mouthing the end of the test piece for a
nice, clean fit.

  Note to self: Buy one of those sparky things. Matches don’t work well for
lighting torches.

  Heating up was fairly straightforward, getting the metal a nice glowing
orangy-red. And… That’s about where the easy bits ended.

  The brass rod melted down easy enough, but instead of nicely slipping into
the joint (like when working plumbing joints), it kind of globbed up, and
dripped off in useless blobs. Using plyers, I flipped it over and blobbed some
on the other side with much the same results.

  I then attempted to overheat the joint, to try and (maybe) melt the blobs
soft enough to run into the joint, but nothing doing: the torch just doesn’t
look to have the heat to get the thing done.

  Letting it cool, the joint did appear to hold, meaning there must have been
SOME adhesion there, despite the joint resembling a gold version of something I
might have blown out of my nose.

  Simple hand torquing was able to snap the joint relatively easily.

  Conclusion: More head scratching, and perhaps try something with a melting
temp less than 1600 degrees. I found some good alloy brazing rods at a local
Ferguson’s with 15% silver content, and a working temp of “only” 480 degrees,
so I’ll be giving that a try next.

  (Yes, I have a much better camera, but it was AWOL. So I used the computer's
Logitech chat camera for the pics. Better quality next time)