  From: TyngTech
  To: rctankcombat@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 6:19 PM
  Subject: [TANKS] Re: looking to step up to plastic injection

  OK Chris,

  Here's the machine for you.

  http://www.mediummachinery.com/index.html

  You wont even need to fix your truck to pick it up.  It ships by UPS.

  Steve

  On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:32:36 PM UTC-4, odyssey...@aol.com wrote:
    Some of you who know something about me, know i do work with resin castings
and produce sci-fi kits. Recently i have begun to look into stepping things up,
taking me from resin kits to styrene kits (or at least some of them), but i am
also looking at other things such as tank related parts :)

    I know i can't do everything (producing useable parts that everyone could
use for every tank), but i could start to do some.

    The plastic injectors i am looking at all have a mold size of about 3"
square but might know someone that might be able to do mold blocks up to 6"
(still have to talk more to them about some parts).

    at first i was thinking of using regular styrene , but thought i'd need to
add some sleeves into the links to help prevent wear, but then starting looking
into some harder materials that i might be able to use (still checking) such as
nylon. they would hold up much better than regular styrene, and i don't think
they would need any kind of sleeve cast into them but think there is a possible
draw-back  -  not being able to be painted (unless someone out there know's
otherwise).

    another limitation is the amount of material required to make a part, the
injectors i am looking at have a limit of 1 oz of material (think that's
liquid, not weight), so some parts might be out of the question to make - for
now.

    if the other person would be willing to make some of the bigger parts for
me, those i think would be some road wheels and sprocket wheels - oh, while i'm
thinking of road wheels, there is a material that is used to make rubber like
gaskets that i was thinking of for making the rubber tires for the road wheels,
but haven't obtained a sample of it yet to see if it really is closer to
rubber, if so, we have rubber tires (again, limited only by size and volume of
material needed). the sprockets i thought could be done in nylon as well as i
think that would hold up fairly well but still need to work out the hubs to
mount them to and the mounting them to the drive shafts (and hope they don't
break)

    the parts would be in 1:6 scale

    as to the tanks i am thinking of looking into for parts....but would have
to do research to see if the track links would be feasible to make and use

    Tiger (but of course, I have one)

    Sherman (i have no real knowledge of them so i don't know if one track fits
all)

    Abram (not 100% sure as i don't know if there are any real variants of the
tank or just the one, again, i have no knowledge of this tank).

    Stug

    as it's still several months away before i can think about getting an
injector, i do know i'll be getting one, so i might as well start looking into
other subjects that i can do using the injector.

    I don't want anyone to think that these would be a cheap things to buy as i
have been pricing nylon and it's a few dollars a pound for it and the molds
could cost me $500 - $1500 on up.

    now parts such as hatches and such would be made out of styrene, this way
they can be easily painted along with the rest of your tank.

    the nylon parts (if i can get everything worked out) i wanted to see about
maybe trying for 4 colors, black, light gray, medium gray and dark gray. i was
sort of leaning towards the gray as i thought if they could be painted and the
paint were to wear off, the gray could sort of be a bare steel color (or i
could look into an orange brown for a rust color if i could get custom colors
somehow).

    oh and the road and idle wheels that i do make, i plan to make them to
accept bearings (i think i can get a good supply of them so i could include
them with each wheel and also as replacement parts).

    i would even consider a generic track design

    if i can get things to all work out, i think some of this could be a big
boost for future tank building.

    Chris