The proccess is known as peening and the proper tool for the process is a "ball
peen hammer".  D. Smith
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joe Sommer
  To: rctankcombat@googlegroups.com
  Cc: Michael Blattau
  Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:17 AM
  Subject: Re: [TANKS] Re: Tyng T-Max Suspension Photos

  On Monday, February 18, 2013 2:25:29 PM UTC-5, Michael Blattau wrote:
    I think the term is "broaching" (not to be confused with the machining
process).  We use a lot of PEM nuts  (http://www.pemnet.com) in our enclosures
in which a press is used to force a fastener into a piece of sheet-metal.
Swaging is more akin to riveting.  Swaging can be done with a hammer and punch.

  Mike,

  One again Herr Tyng has developed something that defies description.
  He said that "he whacked it with a hammer" and then tightened the
  bolt to keep it in place.

  His process uses a toothed tool to plastically deform a workpiece by impact.
  There is no metal removal.

  Swaging is plastic deformation induced by impact or pressure and usually
  involves a mandrel or die, not a toothed tool.

  Broaching uses a toothed tool (generally for metal removal) and usually does
  not involve impact.

  Because I was not familiar with impact broaching and because only plastic
  deformation occured, I detaulted to swaging.

  His process is actually more like hand stamping a serial number into
  a metal part with steel stamps.
  http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-stamps/=ljo5as

  Lastly this conversation occurred just after the ceremonial
  Opening of the Donuts Box, and I was on a sugar high from the
  Ravens donuts with purple icing.

  Joe

"R/C Tank Combat" group.
email to rctankcombat+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.