Over the years there has been sporadic discussion along the lines of the
following:
----
On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:30:17 PM UTC-5, RocketMan wrote:

> ... One rule I wish we had but is probably unenforceable is a rate of fire
> limit. It's ludicrous to let tanks fire a few times per second. ...

----

I have developed a small, cheap device that sits between an R/C receiver
and a servo (or compatible device), and is capable of (among other things)
modifying the servo signal.  I have named it the Servo Signal Analysis and
Modification Unit (SSAMU).

One potential use for this is limiting the rate of fire of paintball
markers operated by R/C. On detecting a "fire" signal the device would pass
it through, then wait some fixed period before looking for a subsequent
signal.  For the sake of discussion suppose the complete cycle time was 5
seconds.

A prototype has been submitted to RCTCHQ for evaluation.  A first-run
production batch is being assembled - I've completed and tested one and
several more will be completed "soon" at which point I will submit samples
to the Committee for Review of Advanced Prototypes.  Time is the greatest
enemy, as always.

This solution requires NO modification to the asset (other than unplugging
the servo from the receiver, plugging the device into the receiver, and the
servo into the device).  The device is programmable so the input signal
threshold, output signal value/s and duration/s, and cycle period can be
adjusted as needed.  A nice side benefit of this device is that it can
provide consistent triggering (and resetting if needed) - for example it
could be programmed to move the servo to an "on" position for 0.25s, a
"reset" position for 0.5s, and then back to an "off" position for the
remainder of the cycle.  (If the asset owner wishes to retain manual
control over such functions the device can pass through all signal levels
other than the rate-limited "fire" signal).  It can also provide
"semi-automatic" firing - if the input signal stays above the threshold the
SSAMU can generate the "fire" signal once every cycle.

If there is interest in trying this solution in battle I will donate the
devices and provide on-site programming.

Note: Based on an online
survey<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rctankcombat/pii27bEJUFk>,
Web site pages, and battle observations it appears most if not all mobile
assets use servos (or compatible devices such as R/C switches) to fire
their markers and would be suitable for this device.  A different solution
will be needed for assets which use direct switching or other non-servo
activation, e.g. some field artillery.  Researchers at the
DOD<http://www.rctankcombat.com/teams/DOD/> labs
are scratching their heads over this as I write; a proposal
<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mississippi&defid=3413474>to
verbally announce ordinal numbers alternating with the name of a southern
U.S. state has been rejected as being overly complex and geographically
insensitive.  The potential solution space appears to be quite large -
other posters have apparently enumerated at least 555 designs.