Davey ,Mr Paul wrote:

In AACR2 "c" isn't a Latin abbreviation; it's an abbreviation for copyright.

I've been asked, by people who've working in a library for quite a few
years, what it means.

On "ca." or the word circa -- I feel it's far better known or understood than
s.l. or s.n.

I've been asked about that, too, by people I would have expected to know
it.  Why not just say "about"?

I really think abbreviations (with the exception of one or two
standards, like "etc.") don't serve our users well.  One I thought of as
"safe", namely "i.e." (= that is) has also failed the user test often
enough to convince me that it does not convey the meaning I intend;
likewise "e.g." which isn't usually found in bibliographic records.

Hal Cain
Joint Theological Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]