Dear Bernhard,

Many thanks for your response and example of your other metadata format.

While I realize that parts II and III are not yet released, I think it's
interesting that this whole RDA project is happening without an illustration
of what the goal is ... even if it is just a generalization of what you wish
to see happen as a group. I realize that these are also "just" the Rules ...
on top of that, you have MARC and the various OPAC displays. However, it
seems to me that it would be useful to the inventors of the new code to have
a common picture of where we are going, even if it is reaching for the stars
at this point.

It seems to me that moving forward without a picture is somewhat akin to
saying, "Let's drive to Fairbanks, Alaska ... without a map!" I have done
this drive to Fairbanks, and if I were trying to convince another person to
travel with me to Fairbanks, I would likely need to provide some information
about where and why we were going ... and I would bring along a map.

I realize that the JSC and constituents are rather the trailblazers into
unchartered territory in this analogy.Also, driving to Fairbanks is a simple
task compared to creating new Rules, especially since there is only one
highway at a certain point, so the choices are limited -- and also, many
people have done it before! There are road signs, if nothing else!  Still, I
know that I would appreciate a visual of the desired outcome. I have heard
quite a bit about the "why" we're going. I've heard a whole lot about "how"
we're going (the process). I would like to see some of the possibilities of
our destination.

Just an observation from a visual learner!

Best wishes,

Julie Moore
Catalogue Librarian
Henry Madden Library