Why not "personality"? Surely Geronimo Stilton and Koko the Gorilla
and Racter are recognizable to us as such.  Persoenlichkeit  ...
Works in German, too!

In despair, before now, trying to find a single term for our opac
that would cover any of the below PLUS speakers, performers,
composers, artists, engravers, while having to deal with a character
limit for the opac label, I have thought of resorting to "Person".
But I didn't.

Cheers

Paul Davey
Cataloguing Services Manager
Collection Management
Wellcome Library
215 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE
(+44) 020-7611-8493
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Wellcome Trust is a registered charity, no.210183.
Its sole Trustee is the Wellcome Trust Limited, a company
registered in England, no. 2711000, whose registered office is 215
Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.

 It would be nice if RDA could find a better word than 'author' to
 encompass actors, entertainers, musicians, sculptors, composers,
 photographers, painters, etc., but perhaps there is no such word.

The imprecise term "creator" is used in some contexts.  But I find it
hard to extend it to editors, compilers, translators -- all of whom may
be genuinely involved in creation of intellectual/artistic content, of
course -- let alone "relationship" types such as festschrift honoree.

--
Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala, Ph.D.

"I teach cataloging."