Hal Cain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>To refer to MARC21 for a moment (and revert to oldfashioned
>nomenclature), I would be reasonably happy to move into a mode where
>name headings (including work headings) were *always* categorized with
>the appropriate code in $4

And J. McRee Elrod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> responded:
>But in a printed book catalogue, or an OPAC display, in which the 1st
>100 or 700 appears, and all titles associated with that entry follow,
>the relationship of the person to the first title might not apply to
>his/her relationship to the other titles.

Indeed, if you are referring to a list, not a single record.  But such
lists may be filtered as part of the search process: for example,
performing a generic search on Joe Blow as an "author" ("responsible
party," "contributor," what have you) brings up the motley collection to
which you refer above.  However, limiting the search to Joe Blow as
conductor before clicking the "Search" button (or perhaps after the first
broad search) brings up a compilation of works in which he plays that role
alone.  Does any OPAC do this sort of thing based on relator codes in the
100/700 $e or $4?

And to bring this topic back around to the purpose for this mailing list,
presumably RDA will continue AACR2's rule 21.0D, whether still as an
"optional addition" or--to play up FRBR a bit more and tie works by
individual "authors" together more firmly via relator codes--a
"we'd-prefer-if-you-used-it-but-still-not-yet-mandatory addition".

--
Mark K. Ehlert           University of Minnesota Libraries
Library Assistant 2      160 Wilson Library