Date:         Mon, 1 May 2006 09:44:07 -0400
Sender: CONSER Cataloging Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Les Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Recommendations from Operations meetings
Comments: To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Comments: cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
__HAS_MSGID 0, __MIME_TEXT_ONLY 0, __MIME_VERSION 0, __SANE_MSGID 0'

The BIBCO and CONSER Operations Committees met jointly last week and voted
to make the following recommendations to the PCC Policy Committee:

The BIBCO and CONSER Operations Committees recommend to the PCC Policy
Committee:

1) That it officially communicate to the Library of Congress the concerns
that have arisen on our email lists and in discussion at our meetings
about LCs new series policy

2) That the PCC evaluate series practices in the following areas:

        1. Simplify series authority creation and documentation to support
it. Areas that should be covered include:
                a. Bib maintenance
                b. Unambiguous distinction of strong vs weak series
                c.Selcted series authority control or total

        2. Assess importance of series authority control

        3. Cost benefit analysis of both original series control work and
copy
cataloging

        4. Establish a discrete time frame for this evaluation process

Les Hawkins
CONSER Coordinator
Library of Congress
Washington, DC