I'm forwarding this with permission of our archival cataloger...

--Adam Schiff, University of Washington

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:30:25 -0700
From: Marsha Maguire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Adam Schiff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Families as authors

Greetings,

Having been forwarded an email about your question concerning families as
authors, I'd like to reply (to you personally because I'm not currently on the
list). I'm a cataloger and an archivist, and I work mostly with unpublished
collections of personal and family papers, and organizational records. To
archivists, the creator of such a collection is the person, family, or
corporate body around whom the materials have accumulated (or been authored --
often both). The documents comprising an archival collection or record group
are the product of the functions and activities of organizations, people, and
families. The "Statement of Principles" in Describing Archives: A Content
Standard (DACS, published in 2004 by the Society of American Archivists -- the
standard for archival description in the U.S.) states that the "distinctive
relationship between records and the activities that generated them
differentiates archives from other documentary resources" (DACS, p. xi).

We do include MARC records based on DACS in OCLC, local ILS's, etc. Because
families are the creators of their papers, we need to be able to provide access
points for them as creators (as well as subjects) of the archival collections
our catalog records describe. Of course, most archives hold more personal
papers and organizational records than family papers, but family records are
not at all uncommon.

Many thanks.

Marsha Maguire
Manuscripts and Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
University of Washington Libraries
P.O. Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
(206) 543-8407 fax: (206) 685-8782