What is the difference then between the citation and the embedded
description?

The citation can be as brief as the access point (6.1.3.0.2) or it can
include much more (6.1.3.0.3, the examples show ISBD punctuation as well).

The embedded description can be fill or it can be abbreviated. So it seems
like there will be cases where the citation and the embedded description
could look exactly alike, that is, you won't know which convention you are
using.

(As you can see I am having a lot of difficulties with the five different
recording conventions.)

Diana Brooking             (206) 543-8405
Cataloging Librarian       (206) 685-8782 fax
Suzzallo Library           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Washington
Box 352900
Seattle WA  98195-2900