J. McRee Elrod wrote:
Would RDA have us substitute "approximately" for "ca." in collation?
(I just finished cataloguing some DVDs with approximate running times.)
Cheez.

The whole word "circa" is five keystrokes, compared with three for the
abbreviation "ca." and it's in all three of the standard English
dictionaries I just checked (Shorter Oxford, Websters and Macquarie).

The abbreviation "ca." is one of those that I've been asked to explain,
and by people whom I would have expected to know.  As I've said before,
I think the time for abbreviations in bibliographic information has passed.

Hal Cain
Joint Theological Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]