/It brings me no joy to point out these issues, but I think somebody
needs to do it. It's the future of our field. It's only reasonable to
ask that in the information landscape of today, is FRBR/RDA any kind of
a solution? Undertaking these changes will demand enormous efforts from
library staff and budgets, and we need to know that it will be worth the
effort. I question it and feel that the same efforts would be better
used in different areas. I may be wrong, but I think it is vital to
discuss it.
/
I don't know if FRBR/RDA is the solution.  I tend to agree with Mac that
there is a lot of potential in MARC--even given the fact that it needs
to be updated to remove redundancies and other problems.  The reason it
has potential is that it has been designed to accommodate those who need
complex and detailed description and those who just need something
simple and quick.  It's never been fully utilized by any given system
that I've ever worked with, but it could do a lot of the things we talk
about wanting now if we had the right data environment.  I'm not saying
MARC and only MARC; and I agree with many that RDA has a lot of problems
that need to be addressed before it would become a true standard in the
sense of being used by most.  I'm saying that we shouldn't abandon good
tools or any set of users for the sake of following a sexy trend because
that approach doesn't serve anyone well in the long run.

Regarding funding.  Since when have we had the funding to do whatever we
want to do whenever and however we want to do it?  I think that the
expense of resources going into staff and programming is partly why it's
so hard to find a system that takes full advantage of something like
MARC; because even in the best of economic times, the commercial
interest is only going to invest as much as is in the interest of its
profit margin.  That's why there are so many open-source
applications--because there have been librarians who know enough about
systems and programming to design something useful in spite of our given
resources, and they have been willing to share their efforts in the
interest of the community.

To paraphrase the song ... Librarians are doing it for themselves.  (and
the users, of course)

Robin Mize
Head of Technical Services
Brenau Trustee Library
Gainesville, GA 30501
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
/

/Weinheimer Jim wrote:
<snip>
I thought that Robin Mize had written an excellent response to Jim
Weinheimer, but once again Weinheimer insists that the FRBR user tasks
are not relevant.  I'm wondering now if maybe the problem is that
Weinheimer is not characterizing the user tasks accurately.  He
says:  "I don't believe that the user tasks are to 'find, identify,
select, and obtain' 'works, expressions, manifestations and items.' I
really don't think that is what people do today, I don't think they
particularly want to, and perhaps they never did."
</snip>

I don't want people to get the wrong impression that I think that the
FRBR user tasks are not relevant. I think that people do want to find
items by their authors and subjects (less by titles). The users I have
worked with believe they can do this now in Google because Google has
been very successfully designed to give results that make people
"happy," but of course they are happy with an author search only
because they don't know what they are missing.

Research has shown, and my own experience concurs, that most people
believe they are good searchers. In the information literacy classes I
teach, I mention that most people believe they are good searchers, but
then I ask them, "Do I think I'm a good searcher?" and to the
inevitable silence, I continue, "I don't know if I'm a good searcher
because I don't have any kind of yardstick to measure myself by. When
I search Google, Yahoo, Google Books, Google Scholar, and so on, I
don't know what I am searching, so I don't know what I am missing.
Also, I don't know if a specific search is "good" or "bad" based only
on the number of keyword hits. In a library catalog, I can search
"wwii" as a keyword, or "Samuel Clemens" and I can know exactly what I
am missing, and this way I can determine if I am a good searcher, or
not. In the Google-type searching, there is nothing like this. In a
library catalog, I can say that I am a good s! earcher, but in Google,
I don't know." I can go on and on and on about the problems of Google.

But I realize that it doesn't matter what I say. While I may make a
difference to the few people in the classroom who aren't asleep, my
words make very little difference in the scheme of things. People like
keyword searching. I do too. People think they are good searchers. And
Google searches can be very useful. I don't have to go on about this.

This is the world as it is and it's not going to go away. People have
discovered a universe of information resources out there and the
library materials are only a tiny, and diminishing part of that
universe. We can put our efforts toward making our small part of the
universe subject to the FRBR user tasks, which will be a lot of work,
and what difference will it make to our users? I don't think they will
even notice a difference. And remember that our users include the
people who determine the library budgets. Is this then the best use of
our resources.?

It brings me no joy to point out these issues, but I think somebody
needs to do it. It's the future of our field. It's only reasonable to
ask that in the information landscape of today, is FRBR/RDA any kind
of a solution? Undertaking these changes will demand enormous efforts
from library staff and budgets, and we need to know that it will be
worth the effort. I question it and feel that the same efforts would
be better used in different areas. I may be wrong, but I think it is
vital to discuss it.

If we want to be able to find resources by their authors, titles, and
subjects, our systems all allow for it right now. There are huge
problems we are facing today in the entire workflow from selection to
description and organization, to access and reference. Libraries need
to change in fundamental ways if they want to make a dent in that
ever-widening "information universe" of our users. I don't see how, if
FRBR /RDA were fully implemented right now, this moment, how it would
change anything. We need to focus on things that make a difference.

Does it mean we have to throw it all out? No. I still maintain that
people want traditional library access, and many think they are
getting it in Google now when they definitely are not. But I believe
there should be a general re-evaluation of many things, most
specifically, are FRBR user tasks what is needed in the modern world?
And we should do this before we begin a huge, and expensive,
restructuring.

Of course, this is only restating what the Working Group said. (At
least, that's my reading of their conclusions!)

Jim Weinheimer