Forgive this simple country cataloger (well, ok, I presently happen to
chair CC:DA as well), but I've looked at the FRBR user tasks.  To my
perception they are but a further generalization and level of
abstraction of Cutter's Objects, adapted to an information universe
where there are multiple carriers and access modes to information beyond
the book.  Cutter's objects served us well as information providers and
in my experience as information users.  I somehow managed to navigate
the research needs of some 18 years of education with the support of an
information profession bolstered by 8 simple statements.  Further, most
of my needs were met by objects 2ii and 2iii -- to show what the library
has on a given subject, ... in a given literature.  Believe me, I am
sufficiently headstrong that if I thought those were "known item"
searches, I would seriously have questioned the point of all those years
of education.  But surely, knowledge that one needs information on a
given topic does not constitute a "known item search".  So I have to
ask, what is so deficient about the 21st century restatement of Cutter's
Objects?

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.