John Myers has done an excellent job of summarizing why we need to pay
attention to developments beyond MARC and XML and why we need to worry
about getting our records out for others to use.  In the long run, this is
a matter of survival.  Karen Coyle refreshingly admits how far there is to
go before we have something workable.

Like other participants in this list, I have been cataloging for 30 years
or so.  What I distinctly remember about the introduction of MARC and then
OCLC is the cheerful optimism that everything would be digital and that we
would no longer need catalogers.  I went into the profession anyway.  We
are finally getting to something like the point that was foretold, and we
will still need someone to create metadata (perhaps even catalogers)
foreseeable future.  The notion that “everything will be online” was
warped out of recognition by the arrival of the web.  The same has been
true of the notions that all information will be easily accessible and
that libraries as physical spaces will wither up and disappear.  In fact,
those of us attached to educational institutions (especially we humanists)
will be stuck with paper for a long time and will need physical spaces to
consult physical objects.

What all of this adds up to is that 1) the future takes longer to get here
than the prophets tell us it will and 2) when it does arrive, that future
may resemble the prophecy only in the most general outline.

This is what is most frustrating about the direction RDA (this is a list
for RDA, is it not?) is taking.  RDA seems intent on being something that
will be hospitable to all sorts of development but which will provide
adequate guidance to none of them.  If RDA is published and adopted, it
will not be radical enough to cope with new technologies and the web and
not be specific enough to be usable by existing libraries without at least
one volume of instructions.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian