J. McRee Elrod wrote:

Adam L. Schiff said:
...and whether future revisions of RDA sanction the description of multiple manifestations on one record.

The same electronic item from different providers are not different
manifestations, any more than different pritings of the same edition
are different manifestations.  An electronic provider is not a
publisher.

I absolutely agree with Greta that the policy should be uniformly
applied, and that includes retrospective change.
Just what is the uniform title intended to do here? To serve as a one-line identifier for what's being catalogued; to provide a linking point for the work content; or to provide a linking point for the expression embodied?

Until we have that clear (and RDA discussions have failed to make that clear to me -- perhaps on account of my inattention, but I can usually follow clear exposition) we'll go on making ad-hoc and conflicting decisions.

FWIW I don't think the application of FRBR categories provides us with the tools to make the distinctions people are talking about here -- they're not subtle enough, at least not within the framework of the MARC21 bibliographic format. And the success will depend on the display created, a matter which RDA chose not to address, but crucial to the outcome.

Hal Cain
Dalton McCaughey Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
h...@dml.vic.edu.au