There are cases where something like contents or "contains/contained in" relationships obviously matter at the work level. For example, consider the stories in a canonical collection like "In our time"--each story is usefully regarded as a FRBR work in its own right, as is the collection, and there's a significant relationship between them. But how do we distinguish between that relationship and the relationship of "Big two-hearted river," one of Hemingway's stories in "In our time," to the many other anthologies in which it appears, each of which could also be regarded as a FRBR work? As a matter of practical implementation, we'd be wise to set aside the "workness" of a large number of aggregates. In most cases, a manifestation-level treatment of such aggregates is all that's needed to anchor all the relationships that matter with other FRBR entities. To promote such aggregates to being described as works purely as a matter of principle would be to bury the limited population of works that most of us care about under an avalanche of "works" that are largely redundant, e.g., all the editions of "In our time" which become new aggregate FRBR works because a new introduction or commentary has been added. As Jonathan notes, users think of "Hamlet" as one work, not hundreds.

FRBR allows us some flexibility when deciding how we define and describe works and expressions. If FRBR seems poised to step off a cliff, we don't have to follow it. We can instead set it on a better path.

Stephen

Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
For works with more than one manifestation, I would guess that MOST users are not looking for a particular manifestation. Or don't know which manifestation they are looking for until they see the options. Or at least many are not. Users that aren't a particular kind of humanities scholar don't come to the library looking for a particular edition, they just come looking for "Hamlet" or "Godel, Escher, Bach," or what have you. "Which edition would you like?" "There are more than one? What are the differences?"

This is just me guessing, actual evidence of some kind would indeed be good.

Jonathan

Daniel Paradis wrote:
Ed Jones wrote:

"(1) Yes, if you were looking for a particular manifestation you certainly wouldn't want to be presented with work/expression information, but if you're unsure what exactly you're looking for, it can be very helpful in clarifying things."

The CastAlbumCollector website (http://www.castalbumcollector.com) is a very good example of how a database (in this case of recordings of musicals) based on FRBR entities can help users navigate large results sets and clarify what they're looking for. The website lets you browse by show (=Work), by recording (=Expression) or by release (=Manifestation); you can also do a keyword search by show or recording. If you search for the work "Les misérables", you will be presented with only two results: the musical by Schönberg or the one by Spencer (who knew there was another musical on the same subject?). Once you select the Schönberg work, you can pick among the 55 recordings of the musical in the database. Only after you selected a recording are you offered with specific releases. At this stage, the details pertaining to the work and expression entities are neatly grouped together under "Show details" and "Recording details." I was not surprised to read on his personal website that the creator of this database has an MLS...

(By the way, Schönberg's musical is represented by authority record n 87120341 (Schönberg, Claude-Michel. Misérables). Authority record no97072905 [Misérables]) is for a dramatic adaptation for children, by Jean Avran, of Hugo's novel.)

Daniel Paradis

Bibliographic Access Librarian
Concordia University Libraries
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West, LB 317-3
Montreal QC H3G 1M8
514-848-2424, x7752
daniel.para...@concordia.ca

--
Stephen Hearn
Authority Control Coordinator/Head, Database Management Section