Deborah Fritz wrote:
I don't think that App D is saying to record related manifestations as
accompanying material, I think it is saying that accompanying material falls
into the category of related manifestations.

Yes, this thought came to mind a day or two ago. This runs counter to other parts of the mapping that (at least suggest) what RDA stuff to plug into what ISBD element/MARC (sub)field.

In other words, I think, 300$e/Accompanying material statement is mapped to
RDA 27.1 Related manifestations, but if you look at 27.1, there will be many
ways of describing the related manifestations, i.e., related manifestations
will map to multiple ISBD elements.

My confusion lies here: RDA 27 (and its foundation, chapter 24) does offer options, but none that at first blush match what we do under AACR2. I suppose "1 manual (34 pages : illustrations ; 18 cm.)" for the 300 $e could be considered an expression of the "structured description" option, but man, that's a *very slight* "partial description of a resource using the same structure (i.e., the same order of elements) that is used for the resource being described," to quote from the draft's glossary.

App D2 is a list of ISBD elements with their corresponding RDA elements (a
BROAD list, I might add). What would be great, would be a list that 'goes
the other way' to provide the RDA elements, with their corresponding ISBD
elements-a very different kettle of fish.

Does this sound reasonable?

It does, and I've thought of doing this on the MARC side, but it'll be a hell of a lot of work. But I may do it anyway as a cheatsheet for my own cataloging efforts, if time allows.

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota