Weinheimer Jim wrote:
our patrons want from the records we are to make. The digital world is quite different from the printed world, and I think we all still coming to terms with that, including myself. (I am assuming here that there is no need to change substantially any ISBD/AACR2 rules *for physical items*. Perhaps a few little tweaks here and there, but nothing substantial)
I would not assume that. One way that the digital world is quite different than the printed world is that in the digital world, we present our metadata _in a digital environment_. Even our displays of records for printed materials are presented to users on computer screens. Most of our metadata control practices were created for generating printed cards.

Personally, I think the changes required for metadata that will live in the digital world are even more difficult and a greater conceptual break than any changes required to describe digital items.

Jonathan