Miksa, Shawne wrote, concerning the initial steps of implementing AACR2:
<snip>
Again, all very interesting and I think pertinent to current discussions
surrounding RDA development, testing, and possible implementation in the years
to come. I would not suppose that any implementation is going to happen next
year-mostly likely not for a few years-in which case it would prudent to start
planning now on how to implement, or not. As I have said in previous postings
(either here or on NGC4LIB), we don't yet have enough data to make such
decisions. In looking back at the context surrounding AACR2 implementation we
can see that we obviously enjoy a vast technology communications advantage and
the ability to exchange information almost instantaneously. However, funding
training and implementation and the amount and length of individual time and
effort each of us has to put into studying and learning a new way of cataloging
is, in my opinion, unchanged.
</snip>

While this may be correct for that historical moment in the implementation of
AACR2, the basic purpose of the recommendation of the Working Group (at least
as I understand it) is that no arguments are made for actual improvements over
what we have now (again quoting from their report):
"The business case for moving to RDA has not been made satisfactorily. The
financial implications (both actual and opportunity) of RDA adoption and its
consequent, potential impact on workflow and supporting systems may prove
considerable. Meanwhile, the *promised benefits of RDA-such as better
accommodation of electronic materials, easier navigation, and more
straightforward application-have not been discernible in the drafts seen to
date*." [my emphasis--JW]

To state it yet one more time, if a case can be made that all these changes and
disruptions are worth it for something better, I think there would be fewer
problems. But I still have not seen how RDA or FRBR will make anything better
for anyone: not for the users, not for reference, and certainly not for
catalogers. Can someone please explain where we can expect to see the
improvements and capabilities over what we have now?

When the library world was moving to AACR2, although all knew there would be
incredible disruptions, there were definite, concrete advantages that everyone
could understand, although many still didn't think it was worth the change: if
all of the English-speaking library world would accept the same rules and
practices for description and for name headings, then the amount of copy
cataloging could increase tremendously (as it in fact did), but nothing similar
is planned with the implementation of RDA, at least so far as I know. For
example, are publishers really ready to get on the bandwagon to create RDA
records, even though they won't create AACR2 records? It would surprise me, but
I am willing to be surprised. If not publishers, then are there other
bibliographic agencies who will join in? Which ones? Are RDA/FRBR displays
really what our public want and need? Will there be improvements in access?
Will productivity increase? Where and why?

Is all this really too much to ask? If there are no improvements going forward,
why do it? (That was what my first podcast was about) Although such questions
may be awkward to raise, we must nevertheless raise these sorts of questions,
and answer them as well, since sooner or later, upper echelons will ask these
sorts of questions and demand answers. I think it would be better to answer
such highly predictable questions sooner rather than later.

There could be many improvements made right now without major disruptions,
first, by moving toward a more XML-type format that the public could utilize
and making our records open. Participating in cooperative projects such as
dbpedia could make our work more widely used and appreciated far more than it
is now. I am sure others on this list would have many more ideas.

Beyond all of these considerations, at least some efforts should be made toward
understanding what are the needs of our users, and since these needs are
obviously changing, to try to determine in what direction their needs are
heading. Only then can we start to decide what to build and how we should
change. But it must be accepted that catalogers are *most definitely NOT* the
people to know what people need from information. That can only come from
reference librarians and the public, the researchers, scholars, and students,
themselves.

While I am the first to declare that we need major changes--*real
changes*--they must be changes that move us forward, and not simply toward
another, more complicated way of doing what we do now.

James L. Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
Rome, Italy
http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/