This is what happens when we continue to coopt a communication standard
developed to print cards for use as a vehicle to convey data in electronic
interfaces.  Nearly every quirk in MARC can be traced back to its foundation as
a card printing mechanism (and the lack of programming sophistication when it
was originally developed).

John Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
Schenectady NY 12308
mye...@union.edu
518-388-6623

 J. McRee Elrod wrote:
According the samples, and the explanations given by others, you now
know that there is a final period only if a 490 follows 300, despite
the fact that there are now three new 3XX fields between.

This seems ridiculous to me.  In any given OPAC display, the 490 may
or may not be displayed following the 300, and may or may not be in
the same paragraph.