The problem with finding a genuine FRBR catalog is that it exists only in
theory: for a true FRBR catalog to exist, you need another structure underlying
the edifice, one based on the FRBR entity/attribute model, and nothing like
that exists yet (that I know of anyway). For that to happen, we need a complete
change in MARC format (which was created to exchange information on separate
cards, i.e. complete information for each manifestation or edition), plus we
would need changes in rules, to ensure that the information required in each
entity is there, e.g. that the work record has the required information for all
the relevant authors and subjects, that the expression record has the
information for editors and versions, etc. etc. To create such a structure will
require quite literally a sea change in how every cataloger works, and more
importantly, how they think. Naturally, there would be tremendous concerns over
retrospective conversion; otherwise we risk making everything we have now more
or less obsolete.

In the meantime there are some projects that attempt to replicate the
experience of an FRBR catalog, and the others have suggested several excellent
ones. I personally like the example at http://zoeken.bibliotheek.be. Such
projects are incredibly useful since they demonstrate that there is a lot we
can do with the records we have right now, and these projects by no means
exhaust the possibilities. I think it would be wise to take a step back and,
using these projects which simulate a genuine FRBR tool, to ask seriously:
would building a genuine FRBR sort of tool really provide our patrons with what
they want or need? Does an FRBR tool answer the real-life questions our public
brings to the catalog? Is it best, in these exceedingly trying financial
conditions, to redo everything to build a tool that people *may not* find
particularly useful?

I am as yet unaware of any user studies along these lines in relation to
FRBR/RDA, but there are many studies of users, how they search for information
and what they expect from it, from other viewpoints. Two of the latest are at:
http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/communityacademiclibraries/887740-419/discovery_face-off_draws_a_crowd.html.csp
 (the Charleston Conference. I only read the LJ account, but I just discovered
that some of the presentations are up at
http://www.slideshare.net/event/2010-charleston-conference) and Project
Information Literacy's report at:
http://projectinfolit.org/pdfs/PIL_Fall2010_Survey_FullReport1.pdf There are
many other highly useful studies however, some of the most interesting coming
from "library anthropologists"(!).

James Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu<mailto:j.weinhei...@aur.edu>
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 258