Quoting Karen Coyle:

>Now the question is: is there a use case for including the publisher
>identity in the catalog record? Is the publisher a bibliographically
>significant entity? Are there particular user needs for this data? Or
>is the *only* purpose for recording this that of identification
>through a surrogate for the title page?

As always, it depends on the user. For my own research, and for many users I
serve professionally (in an independent research library), it is vital to have
both transcribed and normalized information for primary resources. I can find
things published in London, England, through MARC 752 ‡a Great Britain ‡b
England ‡d London. I can find engravings published by John Bowles through 700
‡a Bowles, John, ‡d 1701-1779, ‡e publisher; but through 260‡b I can see that
there are two distinct versions of the plate, each with a varying address for
Bowles' firm. It was a revelation to me as a researcher to discover that this
kind of granularity was hidden inside library catalogue records, and I'm always
thrilled to discover libraries that have implemented searching by MARC subfield
(such as LC has at http://catalog.loc.gov/help/ckw-code.htm). Of course, the
data has to be there in the first place for this to work. At the Folger, we
strive to provide such data for primary sources (i.e., material created in
Western Europe between 1500 and 1700, and material relating to Shakespeare
created anywhere, to the present day).

>Regardless of the answers to the above questions, it seems that we may
>be misleading users when we label this data as "Publisher" in our
>systems.

Agree. This is why I taught myself MARC, and learned about different cataloging
conventions. It's also one of the reasons I left academia: given that I was
more interested in building relational databases and figuring out MARC than I
was in publishing the results of my research, I thought I could do more good
from the other side of the fence, bridging the gap between librarians and
researchers.

   EB.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  | Washington, DC 20003-1004  |
office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  | ebl...@folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu