Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>:

I don't see "value" in all caps, I am just not disturbed by them, and see some sense in transcribing what's on the item in a transcribed field, especially if it will make cataloging simpler or cheaper or easier. Basically, I just don't see it matters too much either way.

It matters especially to people whose vision is less than perfect. After a lifetime of good vision, I now find myself dependent on glasses for reading (paper and screens) and far more sensitive to light levels.

It's about the end-user -- machines are tools for and-users. Our primary concern is the catalogue and the convenience of the catalogue user. Text in upper-case is established to be harder to read.

Hal Cain
Melbourne, Australia
hec...@dml.vic.edu.au