Bernhard Eversberg wrote:
<snip>
15.02.2011 20:48, Weinheimer Jim:

> In my opinion (and not only mine), this is the world we must enter,
> whether we want to or not. How do you enter this world? By creating
> Web Services. In order just to start to do this, you must use XML,
> since this is the language. It is not ISO2709.

Now that is of course right. Only "you must use XML" does precisely
*not* mean "use XML as your internal syntax"! It just means "be able
to use XML in the production and use of services". That, in fact,
is posible on systems that use MARC internally, and even ISO-MARC.

The misunderstanding here is the same that led to the internal
use of MARC in ILSs in the first place. That was never really
necessary, nor intended by the creators of MARC, for MARC was meant to
be a communication format. In modern parlance, a service format, only
that it was offline bulk services (magnetic tapes) at that time.

Again, to make it clear: Internally, in the black box that is your
system from the viewpoint of the world, you can do whatever you want
to structure your data. You can even (although you should think twice)
use ISO-MARC - only just let nobody see it. As long as you are able to
answer requests in XML *and in other syntaxes that may be asked for*,
in services that the world can use. XML is not a be-all or cure-all, and
in 10 years' time it may be obsolete - we have no control over that.

May we now put that matter of ISO to rest? I've never liked it myself,
and it *ought* to be gotten rid of, but that's actually off-topic in
this forum.
</snip>

This is correct. I never mentioned ISO2709 being used internally. The internal
format also probably won't be MARC, but some kind of relational structure, or
an XML structure (as in Lucene), or a mixture of both (as in Koha). Each system
internally can and probably will be, quite different, just as they are today.
That is beside the point. The only catalog I know of that stores records
internally in ISO2709 is CDS-ISIS, but there are probably others. All that
matters ultimately however, is that the final product transfers its data
according to a specified format.

That aside, the matter of ISO2709 *is* of incredible importance for the
transfer of our records, because so long as we use it for transferring records,
we remain locked into all its deficiencies, no matter how great our internal
systems may become. It's like having a dam within a drought-suffering populace
that needs water. Your dam may be able to deliver 200,000 gallons of water a
second, but if the pipes are old and can only deliver 100 gallons a second, the
fact is, you can only deliver 100 gallons a second, and this remains the case
even if you do more work and you can deliver 400,000 gallons. Although everyone
wants your water, and you want to deliver it, the pipes must be upgraded if you
are to help. And if we don't upgrade those pipes, we cannot blame the populace
for looking elsewhere for what they need.

So, perhaps we create these wonderful sites that internally have, e.g. 100
subfields in a field. Maybe we want fields beyond the 999 that we have now.
None of this can be transferred using ISO2709. *If* we wanted to get rid of the
single main entry, by making the 100 repeatable and everything associated with
it, it would be a huge undertaking in ISO2709, if it could be done at all, but
fairly simple in XML. There are lots of problems.

I don't know if XML is the ultimate solution, but that doesn't matter. It would
certainly be a step forward; a step we could take now; the developers could
start working with our records now and the public--perhaps--might even begin to
appreciate them; and it wouldn't cost nearly as much as instituting RDA (to
bring the topic back).

But you are right. I really do not like saying bad things about RDA on this
list. The reason I harp on this is to provide a concrete example how we could
adopt changes that are much less disruptive to us than the adoption of RDA, far
less expensive, and that would (or at least could) have far more profound
effects on the world "out there".

James Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 258