OCLC #646122824 Hungarian Americans in the current of history has as a 490 1_
East European monographs ; ‡v DCCLXVI    .

I presume this is done because of RDA rule 1.8.2, and the alternative chosen by
LC which indicates we record the form of the numeral that appears on the piece,
whether Arabic or Roman, rather than the basic rule which says to record the
numeral in the form preferred by the cataloguing agency or the other
alternative which says to restate the number in Arabic.

If the item also had a series statement in the book that used “766”, which form
would we transcribe in the 490?

Jay Shorten

Cataloger, Monographs and Electronic Resources

Associate Professor of Bibliography

Catalog Department

University Libraries

University of Oklahoma