Jay Shorten said:

>1. What rule in RDA says to transcribe the title as "Metal Forming : Mechan=
>ics and Metallurgy"  and not "Metal forming : mechanics and metallurgy" ?  =

RDA has as options upper case for the first letter of each word (if
that way on the title page) or all caps if that way on the title page
or captured (e.g., Onix) that way, or following a style manual.

In the case you cite, it would seem the style manual of title
caplitalization was followed.  It would be interesting to know of all
titles done by that agency were so capitalized.  If observing
transcription as found, they goofed.

SLC is sticking with sentence capitalization.  I think the variety
would make for ugly and confusing hitlists.  This lack of a consistent
standard for transcription is one of my major beefs with RDA, second
only to its bad writing style.

>2. What rule in RDA says to transcribe the edition as "Fourth" and
>not 4th ...

Nothing is to be abbreviated in a transcribed field unless the
abbreviation is on the item.  Few abbreviations are used outside
transcibed fields, with a few exceptions, e.g., "min."; "cm" and other
metric terms are considered symbols, not abbreviations.