>Thank you, Deborah, and I should have known of course that RDA would not
lose this basic descriptive function, just make it more... what is the
word? Explicit, I suppose.

As a cataloger of many works from the hand-press period, where spelling
lacks uniformity, and typographical errors,  arcane contractions, and
obfuscation are all too common, I might suggest a word: Maddening! I give
you that [s.l.] and [s.n.] are pretty obscure, but [sic] and [i.e.] are
commonly used outside of the library world. You faith in the authors of
RDA is touching, but it seems to me that assume users live in a vacuum and
are incapable of acquiring a modicum of cultural literacy.

Will

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Will Evans
Chief Rare Materials Catalog Librarian