Mac,

I suspect you have chosen the form intended by the RDA folks, but the form has no rationale. The problem here is the two rules (18A1 and 18A) contradict each other and therefore do not allow a decision to be reached on the basis of the rules. If RDA is intended to be international, this should be fixed. There also needs to be a consideration of canons other than those of the western Church(es).

I do not understand why you bring in the rule about apocryphal books since they are not considered part of the Bible, except perhaps by groups such as the Jesus Seminar, whose inclusion of the Gospel of Thomas in their Five Gospels might be considered as an attempt either to expand or to demolish the notion of "Biblical canon."

--
Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian