Christopher Winters said:

>I've presided over the creation of more than 2400 RDA records for
>sheet maps over the last 13 months at the University of Chicago
>Library. Relationship designators have given us more problems than
>any other aspect of RDA, and (like the book catalogers here) we
>stopped using them  ...

This real life experience very much accords with our internal
experiments.  We have come up with a simplified relator term list* in one
alphabetic order, in case we *have* to use them, but we hope not.
Some RDA terms are too long for conventient display.

While relator terms are fairly problem free for a simple printed book,
simple printed books are a small minority of what SLC catalogues (records
for most of those are available from the national cataloguing
agencies).

We catalogue law reform commission reports for law firm libraries.  A
report which contains official recommendations of the commission is
entered under the commission.  A report which is informational only is
entered under personal author or title.  What would be the relator
term(s) used for that 110 and 710?  Different or the same?   "Issuing
body" for both?  Usually the commission is also the publisher.

What $e term would be used after a 111?  We do many law symposia.

It seems to me many theorists lack the practical experience of Billie
and Christopher.

abridger
actor
addressee
animator
appellant
appellee
architect
artist
author
[bookseller]
cartographer
[cinematographer] [Use for 'director of photography']
choreographer
commentator
composer [Also use for all RDA relator phrases beginning 'composer']
conductor
court governed [Assign and export as 'court']
compiler
[conference - use "issuer"]
dancer
dedicatee
defendant
degree granting institution [Assign and export as 'institution']
[depicted]
designer
[director] [Usedfor 'film director', 'radio director', 'television director']
director of photography [Assign and export as 'cinematographer']
draftsman
enacting jurisdiction [assign and export as 'jurisdiction']
editor
engraver
etcher
film director [Assign and export as 'director']
film producer [Assign and export as 'producer']
filmmaker
honouree
host
host institution [Assign and export as 'host']
illustrator
[institution] [Use for 'degree granting institution']
instrumentalist
interviewee
interviewer
inventor
[issuer] [Use for 'issuing body']
issuing body [assign and export as 'issuer']
judge
[jurisdiction] [Use for 'enacting jurisdiction' and 'jurisdiction governed']
jurisdiction governed [Assign and export as 'jurisdiction]
landscape architect [Assign and export as 'landscaper']
[landscaper] ]Use for 'landscape architect]
librettist
lyricist
moderator
narrator
panelist
performer
photographer
plaintiff
praeses
printer
printmaker
[producer] [Use for 'film producer', 'radio producer', 'television producer']
production company
programmer
[publisher]
puppeteer
radio director [Assign and export as 'director']
radio producer [Assign and export as 'producer']
respondent
screenwriter
sculptor
singer
speaker
[sponsor] ]Use for 'sponsoring body']
sponsoring body [Assign and export as 'sponsor']
storyteller
teacher
television director [Assign and export as 'director']
television producer [Assign and export as 'producer']
transcriber
translator
[writer - use 'author']