Bernhard said:

>What else should we assume end users to be interested in if not the
>individual works?

They might be interested in the aggregate output of a particular
author, artist or composer.  They might be interested in the results
of a particular conference (anything to report from EURIG Bernhard?).
They might be interested in the output of particular private press,
book designer, illustrator, compiler, editor, translator, etc.

The aggregate is as much in need of description as the works it
contains.

Colour me old fashioned, but I think each description, whether of
individual work manifestations or aggregates of works,  should be
complete in itself (even if linked for FRBR display and authority
control), as opposed to the descriptions being aggregates of links to
other data.  To depend on such linkages in an every more unstable
world is, I think, unwise.