Finally, why is it wrong to expect to search a library catalog for Steven
Spielberg as a producer only? Because it's
not the right tool, whether anybody likes it or not.

James Weinheimer weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com

I disagree with James here. I think the library catalog ought to be able to do this search. I believe that users do want to do searches like Steven Spielberg but only those films he directed, or Clint Eastwood and only the films he starred in AND directed. Or directed but didn't appear in. Or sound recordings that Leonard Bernstein performs on as a pianist on works that he composed. And so on.

We have been consistently coding relator terms for persons associated with moving image resources for a dozen years or more, in the hopes that we will one day have a system that would enable users to either execute a search including a role, or limit by that role. Many other media catalogers have been doing the same. Few have done the same for sound recordings, alas.

I agree that the catalog is not the appropriate place to look for all of the movies that Spielberg produced, but within the context of a given collection, and most users probably care about what is easily and immediately available to them from their local institution, the catalog is the appropriate place to find films in a specific collection having the attribute of Spielberg as a producer or as a director or as both. Our ILS vendors have not done a good job of making EXISTING data useable. I hope that will change with RDA, where relationships are given much more prominence.

Adam Schiff

* Adam L. Schiff * * Principal Cataloger *
* University of Washington Libraries *
* Box 352900                         *
* Seattle, WA 98195-2900             *
* (206) 543-8409 * * (206) 685-8782 fax * * asch...@u.washington.edu * **************************************