John Myers' posts mocking up possible ways to display information to disambiguate two identical names made me wonder if perhaps it would be useful to add a new element to authority records to record relationship designators from RDA Appendix I representing the roles of a person. For example:

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a author, $a librettist, $a editor

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a programmer

100 1# #a Smith, John
3XX    $a film director, $a screenwriter

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a transcriber

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a translator, $a illustrator

Now I do realize that that perhaps Profession or Occupation represented by some of these roles might be able to be used as a qualifier added to the authorized access point of some of these names, but I'm wondering if having roles (especially multiple roles where a single qualifier could misrepresent a person) recorded in a separate element might be useful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries