Larry Creider wrote:

> While I can see how the term "Pagination Subunits" might be precise for
> those producing RDA records, I fail to see how it will do anything but
> produce derision on the part of our users.

I think that Thomas was suggesting this term as the name of the RDA element,
not as a label to be used for public display of the data.  Of course, we will
have lots of very unimaginative and/or lazy system developers/vendors who will
do nothing more than take the name of the data element as the display label for
that element.  But it is pointless to try to come up with element names that
are public-friendly, since they are not intended for public consumption.  (It
is no less reasonable to assume that an OPAC display should show the user a
term such as "Author" or "Creator" instead of the phrase "Main Entry-Personal
Name" or the tag "100".  This is really the same issue.)

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library