On 5/15/2012 11:34 AM, James Weinheimer wrote:
Although MARC needs to change, and has needed it for a very long time, I
don't see how changing the format would improve the subject headings.

I did not mean to say that changing from MARC to somethign else, by itself, would do anything at all to subject headings.

I chose my phrase carefully, "the way our data is currently recorded and maintained in MARC". Several things about the way our data is currently and recorded and maintained (which we currently do in MARC) ought to be changed. Subject headings aren't even one of the main ones, although the way they are done could certainly be improved to be more powerful in software environments.

It is a large and complicated topic. One we've spent collectively years arguing about on this list.

Frankly, I no longer have much confidence that the library cataloging community is capable of any necessary changes in any kind of timeline fast enough to save us.

Those that believe no significant changes to library cataloging or metadata practices are neccesary will have a chance to see if they are right.

I believe that inaction -- in ability to make significant changes in "the way our data is currently recorded and maintained" to accomodate contemporary needs -- will instead result in the end of the library cataloging/metadata tradition, and the end of library involvement in metadata control, if not the end of libraries. I find it deeply depressing. But I no longer find much hope that any other outcome is possible, and begin to think any time I spend trying to help arrive at change is just wasted time.

Jonathan