The irony here is lovely.  The MARC fixed fields for country and language
codes and the 043 and 041 were originally designed for automated retrieval
at a time when there were if any online catalogs.  In the computer
environment of the 1960s and 1970s, even the 1980s, retrieval by the codes
would have been much faster than any searching by text strings.
Evidently, it still is.

Unfortunately, most people did not bother with the 043 field, in
particular, because no online system (including OCLC) made use of it.  So
now we are finding that we shouldn't make use of the 043 because the
information is not in online bibliographic records because the online
systems could not be bothered to develop a means of retrieving it?

I am upset because, among other reasons, I spent a lot of time inputting
043 fields in the hope that they would be useful.  The MARC format has
enough limitations without folks blaming it for poor implementation by
others.

Besides, Heidrun's project is gravy.  It does not retrieve everything that
is relevant, but I have not met a system yet that does.  Her work
retrieves more, and that is progress.

Larry
--
Laurence S. Creider