To find out what they will do you need to look at the LC Policy Statements.

LCPS for 18.5.1.3: Illustrators for Resources for Children
LC practice: Provide an authorized access point in the bibliographic record for an illustrator in all cases of resources intended for children. Give the RDA appendix I designator "illustrator" in MARC 700 subfield $e.

LCPS for I.3.1: Illustrators for Resources for Children
LC practice: When providing an authorized access point for an illustrator in the bibliographic record for a resource intended for children, include the appendix I designator "illustrator" in MARC 700 subfield $e.

LCPS for J.1: LC practice: When MARC subfield $i for a relationship designator is used in a bibliographic record, give it as the first subfield, capitalize the first word in the designator, and end the subfield with a colon.

There is no LCPS for 18.5 Relationship Designator, or for 24.5 Relationship Designator.

Therefore, what I read from this is that it is LC policy to always record a relationship designator for illustrators of resources for children. In all other cases, in the absence of a policy, the choice to record a relationship designator is up to the individual cataloger. They are not forbidden from doing it, nor are they by policy told they must supply the designators.

I'd personally love to see the community supply these more often than not. The possibilities for systems of the future to make use of them is very exciting, but only if we put them in our records to begin with.

Adam

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger