From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Moore, Richard
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:33 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA Conference headings created by BL

Thanks Bob for answering this while the UK slept!

The considerations in choosing between an acronymic and a formally spelled-out
form of conference (or other corporate name) are broadly similar in RDA as in
AACR2. RDA 11.2.2.5 says:

 "If variant forms of the name are found in resources associated with the body,
choose the name as it appears in the preferred sources of information (see
2.2.2) as the preferred name, as opposed to forms found elsewhere in the
resources."

So if the preferred source (usually the title page) has "WWIC 2012", and the
spelled out form appears elsewhere, then the acronymic form is the preferred
name. That's not different from AACR2.

Where RDA practice differs is in the following:

RDA 11.2.2.11 says:

"Omit from the name of a conference, congress, meeting, exhibition, fair,
festival, etc. [...] indications of its number, or year or years of
convocation, etc."

AACR2 24.7A1 said the same (except that it also required the omission of
frequency), but LCRI 24.7A allowed an exception for  acronyms:

"If the name of a conference consists of a phrase that combines an acronym or
an initialism with the abbreviated or full form of the year, retain the year as
part of the name."

So under AACR2 we could have "WWIC 2012" as the name.

There is no equivalent of LCRI 24.7A in RDA or the LCPS. We can't retain the
year of convocation.

Therefore, from "WWIC 2012" we omit the year, and are left with "WWIC".
As Bob says below, RDA 11.13.1.2 and the LCPS for 11.7.1.4 instruct us to
qualify it with an "Other designation", and the most suitable designation would
seem to be "Conference". We've used "Conference" in these access points,
regardless of whether a meeting calls itself a Conference, Colloquium,
Symposium, etc., in the interests of consistency and collocation. Bearing in
mind also that LCRI 21.1.B1 no longer applies, so a phrase no longer has to
contain a word that connotes a meeting, in order to be considered named.

Regards
Richard
Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager