During phase 2 of the manipulation of the LC/NACO authority file for use under
RDA (to take place next March, knock on wood): If an AACR2 authority record
("AACR2" does not include AACR2-compatible) is otherwise being modified (for
example, to change "b." in subfield $d of an X00 field to a hyphen) and if the
1XX field in such an otherwise-modified AACR2 record is deemed acceptable for
use under RDA (by the lack of any identifiable blocking condition), then the
otherwise-modified acceptable AACR2 authority record will be re-coded as RDA.
(Under the revised two-phase plan, no AACR2 records are being re-issued solely
to re-code to RDA.)

I had thought that somewhere in the extensive documentation there was a
description of just what "re-coded as RDA" means but I don't find it in a quick
scan.  Here's what happens (though you could probably guess):

        1) Change 008/10 to "z"
        2) Add 040 $e "rda"

I'll keep looking in the documentation, and add the description of "re-coding"
if I don't eventually find it (or at least move it to a more easily-found
place). But meanwhile: The alternatives for the location of $e appear to be:
        1) put $e in a constant and predictable place (just before $c)
        2) put $e adjacent to (probably before) the $d code for the modifying
institution
While I don't think the world will spin much faster either way, I prefer
putting the subfield in a predictable location, so the eye can be trained to
catch it reliably; the institution making the upgrade can always be identified
by viewing the record's history.

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
Northwestern University Library, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300
e-mail: mrsm...@northwestern.edu   voice: 847/491-2788   fax: 847/491-8306
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.         BatchCat version: 2007.22.416