I think that is the intention. It was brought up as an RDA change from AACR2 at
an early ALA pre-conference I attended. AACR2 1.1F12: "Treat a noun phrase
occurring in conjunction with a statement of responsibility as other title
information if it is indicative of the nature of the work." RDA 2.4.1.8: "If  a
noun or noun phrase occurs with the statement of responsibility , treat the
noun or noun phrase as part of the statement of responsibility."

 I later noticed that the second example in RDA 2.4.1.8 has "dramatised
adaptations" as part of the statement of responsibility. AACR2 uses the same
example and has "dramatised adaptations" as other title in 1.1F12. I also think
that cataloger judgment is involved. RDA 2.3.4: "Other title information may
include any phrase appearing with a title proper that is indicative of the
character, contents, etc., of the resource or the motives for, or occasion of,
its production, publication, etc."

If you had Tome 1 / a novel by X, it is still a statement. If you had Tome 1 /
novel X it really isn't a statement anymore, and it could be said that "novel"
lacking a grammatical connection to "X" is an example of not occurring with the
statement of responsibility. You still have the latitude to consider the noun
phrase as indicative of the character, contents, etc. of the resource:  Davy
Jones : a pirate novel / by Y, not Davy Jones / a pirate novel by Y.

Steven Arakawa
Catalog Librarian for Training & Documentation
Catalog & Metadata Services, SML, Yale University
P.O. Box 208240 New Haven, CT 06520-8240
(203)432-8286 steven.arak...@yale.edu