My comments interspersed below.  --Adam

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Buzz Haughton wrote:

Hello, Pamela!

LC announced the implementation of the 264 MARC field in June. The last time I
looked, OCLC still had nothing about
it, but you can get the basic layout at:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd264.html

AS: OCLC Technical Bulletin 261 (http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/tb/261/default.htm) discusses the implementation of field 264 and it says to follow the PCC guidelines available at http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/documents/264-Guidelines.doc.

264 requires a second indicator, usually #1 (publication) and/or #4
(copyright). We're now also supposed to add
another 264 with just $c; examples are given at the above website.

AS: If you are recording a copyright date in addition to a date of publication, that copyright statement goes alone in $c in its own 264 with second indicator value of 4. But remember that copyright date is only a core element when neither date of publication nor date of distribution is available.

My OCLC template still only supplies 260.

AS: If you are using an AACR2 template, you will get 260. If you switch to having Connexion supply an RDA template you get 26_. But all newly created RDA records should be using 264 and never 260.