For one of my own projects, I chose standardized codes and names from
references to represent IDs and namess for:

1) institutional affiliations using Carnegie Classification for universities;

2) company names with ticker symbols in financial registry, etc.;

3) postal codes for names of cities and states, etc.;

4) Geo-codes for geo-mapping of location; and other codes and metrics.

Public library access to network was hard to get access to.  Therefore, we have
to pre-pack those codes for offline access with update notification as
prerequisite for all applications built for RDA/FRBR.

As for the form of choices for names in NARs, a preferred label will be used
for fuller form of the name if that is a predominantly known name, e.g. 80/20
rule, and alternate label will be used for the abbreviation of the name.

In the past, the place name was used as a qualifier in order to differentiate
person A from person B if both have the same name.

With geo-tagging and mapping capability, I have seen such pratice being
extended to personal and institutional names for local, mobile, and social apps.

That's why roles of a person, his/her professions, field of expertise,
interests, homepages, emails, phone numbers, native languages, etc. are getting
critical for disambiguation.

We don't display such data without his/her consent even if such data is in
published literature.  In addition, we must keep them confidential in our DBs
in every possible way.  That's the exquisite services we deliver and differ
from others.

Hope it helps!!!

Amanda Xu Sent from my iPhone